Do you marvel at the complexity of biology and seek to develop new applications based on novel protein chemistries?
Do you love contributing your subject matter expertise in the areas of biochemistry, molecular biology and/or microbiology to an interdisciplinary team of scientists focused on application development in the national health and defense mission areas?
If you answered yes to these questions, we're looking for someone like you to join our team, in the Biological Sciences Group, here at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab.
We are seeking a Biochemistry Postdoctoral Researcher to develop inhibitors of plant secondary metabolism and assist in efforts to engineer ribonucleic acid proteins for transient protein expression in plants. You should have some combination of skills in protein purification, isolation of biochemical compounds from complex samples, biochemical assays, DNA/RNA manipulation and analysis, assay development, microscopy, and culture of exotic/complex microbial and plant systems. As part of the Biological Sciences Group in the Research Exploratory Development Department, this position is at the forefront of APL's mission to provide critical contributions to critical challenges. A highly motivated and dedicated Biologist will be able to contribute to building extraordinary expertise in pursuit of challenges in areas of defense and national health.
As a Biochemistry Postdoctoral fellow...
* You will drive efforts in experimental design and execution in diverse fields to include design and manipulation of recombinant proteins and synthetic nucleic acids, protein purification and characterization, microbiological culture and engineering.
* You will support study design, execution, and data analysis. You will assist and collaborate with scientists in support of laboratory-based experimentation.
* You will troubleshoot and optimize experimental protocols.
* You will assist with basic laboratory functions (i.e. lab cleanliness and organization, equipment upkeep, etc.).
* You will communicate key findings both internally across teams and externally to sponsors.
* You will be a part of a team providing leadership in the development of new opportunities and support internal initiatives, driving technical innovation and growth in areas relevant to APL sponsors.
* You will participate in the biology and APL community, and present data at lab meetings and to department management.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have ... * Hold a Ph.D in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, or a similar field with 1-4+ years of experience in a laboratory setting. * Extensive experience designing, running, and troubleshooting a wide range of biological assays. * Demonstrated expertise with recombinant protein expression, protein purification and characterization. * Are well-versed in molecular biology techniques, including design and construction of genetic constructs. * Extensive experience with culture and genetic manipulation of bacteria and yeast * Are able to obtain an Interim Secret security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a final Secret clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have ... * Experience working with enzymes with complex cofactors like metal cofactors especially p450s or other aspects of bioinorganic chemistry. * Expertise developing enzyme assays that require the use of HPLCs. * Demonstrated expertise developing enzyme inhibitors. * Experience working with enzymes involved in plant secondary metabolism.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates. At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers. The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab (APL) is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual identity, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.