is a non-profit organization which provides a variety of housing and healthcare services including: skilled nursing care, post-acute care, memory loss care, an adult day program, assisted living, housing with services, short-term rehabilitation, and the Walker Methodist Foundation. Walker Methodist has been serving seniors and their communities since 1945.
Our Mission: Life. And all the living that goes with it. Enhancing the lives of older adults through a culture of care, respect and service.
Our Vision: As the leading senior services provider, Walker Methodist offers the best place to live and work.
Our Values: Respect. Imagination. Collaboration.
Who is Walker Methodist?
It’s been said that despite its inevitability, getting old is the one thing that seems to catch everyone by surprise.
The good news is that at Walker Methodist, we believe age does not have to hold you back. That’s why we’ve created communities to ensure that it won’t. Places where you have the freedom to enjoy the activities and lifestyle that suit your needs. Where our goal is to ease your burdens so you can live fully each and every day. Walker Methodist is not a choice for those who can’t. It’s a choice you make so you can.
What we do
Walker Methodist specializes in lifestyle, housing and healthcare services for older adults. We own, operate and manage housing communities, provide rehabilitation services, and operate leading sub-acute transitional care centers that help people recover from hospitalizations or surgeries so they can return home. For more detailed, site-by-site descriptions of what we do, please explore our communities, levels of care and programs. See if Walker Methodist is a good fit for you or your loved ones.
Walker Methodist is proud of its deep roots dating back to 1876. Predecessors to today’s Walker Methodist are Bethany Home and Harriet Walker Maternity Hospital.
- 1876-1930 (Bethany Home) - Harriet Walker, Abby Mendanhall, Charlotte Van Cleve, and Euphemia Overlock established the original Bethany Home for unwed mothers where Walker Methodist Health Center now stands.
- 1930-1945 (Harriet Walker Maternity Hospital) - Bethany Home became The Harriet Walker Maternity Hospital and broadened its services to include married women with limited resources seeking maternity care and older women seeking board and care.
- 1945 -1965 (Walker Methodist Home) - As needs in the community changed, Walker Methodist shifted services to older adults. In 1945, the Walker Methodist Home opened its doors following the merger of the maternity hospital with the Elim Home for the Aged.
- 1965 - Present - Walker Methodist Health Center opened in 1965 and became one of the largest health care facilities in Minnesota. To provide a comprehensive array of services, a new health care center and housing community, Walker Place, opened in 1983. Today the Walker Methodist Health Center provides innovative service and healthcare to support the physical, social, emotional, and spiritual wants, needs and dreams of our customers.
- Walker Methodist’s Growth - With the opening of Hazel Ridge (1986) and Westwood Ridge (1987) senior living communities, Walker Methodist expanded the continuum of care to include independent living, assisted living, skilled nursing care, memory care, subsidized senior housing, physical therapy & rehabilitation, fitness programs, and adult day care. We now serve customers at additional sites throughout the Twin Cities at Plaza and River in Anoka, Highview Hills in Lakeville, Care Suites in Edina, Kenzie in St. Anthony and Place and Lyndale in Minneapolis.
- 2012 – To reflect changing consumer expectations and preferences, we adopted a new mission statement to guide the company’s continued service and growth: Life. And all the living that goes with it. This mission is accompanied by updated values: Respect. Imagination. Collaboration.
- Walker Methodist’s Future - We are a leading provider of lifestyle, homes, healthcare and rehabilitative services. Our mission guides our creativity and innovation as we seek opportunities to build programs, service offerings, and residences in the future.